Friday, June 23, 2006

Color Fixation of Meats Part 1: Overview

Recently another blog commented about an interesting article regarding a new practice of exposing meat to carbon monoxide to make the meat look more fresh. This is not limited to red meat, which turns and stays a bright pink after this treatment, but also to tuna fish. Intrigued by both the blogger's comments and the article it was based on, I wanted to look into this new manufacturing practice.

Being that my field of study is neurotoxicology, with an emphasis on foods, these kind of topics are ones I love to investigate. It is an area that I am very well read in too, since I am just finishing up my PhD in the field. So I think I have some background to give a solid opinion on the topic.

There are many issues at play. One side is trying to sell a product as inexpensively as possible, with as little loss as possible. The other side is looking to buy a product that is safe, healthy, and inexpensive, while still being delicious and presentable. How does the second party know if the product is safe? What keeps the first party from cutting corners in order to sell the product?

In the next few post I will talk through some of these issues, as it relates to this new technique of exposing meat to carbon monoxide. As I see it, the main points are: Should it be labelled as such? Is it safe? What is the consumers response?

No comments: