Tuesday, May 30, 2006

1984

This past weekend I watched the Wachowski Brother's latest, "V for Vendetta." Interesting movie, but I am referring more to the present day implications. The first thing that I thought of was George' Orwell's "1984." (Yes, I do read from time to time.)

So much to say, and I don't want to overload my blog. I must say that the ideas behind both this movie and this book seem strangely familiar. Present day politics (on both sides) seem to be heading us in this direction. The "wiretaping" and phonecall database issues may be innocent now, but I fear where a future politician may take it. And on the other side, the idea behind "social tolerance" could swiftly backfire.

[Now I am a scientist, not a polititian or sociologist, so forgive me if I get the "who's" mixed up. I am note looking to place the blame, but rather my point is that this is present day stuff.]

Though I do believe in "the system" in general, and think that America is closest to the mark when it comes to democracy, I do still have this aversion to Big Brother. As our technology increases, the ability for governments to collect more personal data, inventory it, and make it easily accessible greatly concerns me. One of the only things I remember from my statistics class was that if you look hard enough for patterns, YOU WILL FIND THEM. If you collect enough info on a person, you are bound to find patterns and connections that could sound the alarms.

There are bad things brewing in our world. And the "bad guys" have this same technology at their disposal too. Does this justify governments scrutinizing citizens more and more, all in the name of safety? I would rather risk someone causing me harm and be more free, than for my safety to be nearly guarenteed and have no freedom.

And for those that say, "Preach it brother," thinking that I am here to bash Bush, I say be careful what you assume. On the other side there are the people that do the same thing just using (or shall I say mis-using) words and social pressures. This idea of tolerance is crazy! Yes to freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom of opinion. But the other side twists that around and starts calling some talk "hate speech" and labelling some religions as "uneducated" and "controlling." As a result our society loses freedom as people are afraid to voice their thoughts and opinions. Just because someone is wrong doesn't mean that they should be silenced or ridiculed. In "1984" the biggest form of control was by controlling speech and peer pressure. Definitions of words were changed, and clubs were formed to make it prestigious to have radical opinions that supported the government's agenda.

Sadly, I do not see or expect things to actually improve in these areas. I am by nature an optimist, but I also know how human nature works and the destruction that this world has for a future.

No comments: